Intel Cluster Ready
The Intel® Cluster Ready (ICR) Program was developed to improve the level of compatibility between turn-key HPC Linux clusters, cluster management software and parallel applications. Bright Cluster Manager® is an official Intel Cluster Ready component and fully complies with the Intel Cluster Ready specification.
Bright Computing is also winner of the Intel Cluster Ready Voyager Award.
Types of Intel Cluster Ready Compliance
The Intel Cluster Ready program offers four levels of compliance with its specification:
- A cluster management software stack — such as Bright Cluster Manager — can be an official Intel Cluster Ready component if it complies with the Intel Cluster Ready specification.
- A parallel application can be Intel Cluster Ready registered if it complies with the Intel Cluster Ready specification. Examples include Fluent, RADIOSS, STAR-CD, LS-DYNA, MAGMA, Nastran and Abaqus. More examples can be found on the Intel website.
- A hardware or software product can be an Intel Cluster Ready component if it complies with the Intel Cluster Ready specification. Examples include InfiniBand switches and cards, storage units and Linux distributions.
- A turn-key HPC Linux cluster can be Intel Cluster Ready certified. Examples are Intel-based clusters supplied by Bright Computing's reseller partners.
Intel Cluster Checker
Intel Cluster Checker is the software tool used on an HPC Linux cluster to validate that the cluster conforms to the Intel Cluster Ready specification.
Intel Cluster Checker examines the cluster at both the node and cluster level, making sure all components work together and can deliver optimal performance. It assesses firmware, kernel, storage, and network settings, and it conducts high-level tests of node and network performance using the Intel MPI Benchmarks, STREAM, the HPC Challenge benchmark (HPCC), and other benchmarks.
New clusters are certified as Intel Cluster Ready only when the Intel Cluster Checker confirms that the cluster is compliant.
The Intel Cluster Checker is pre-installed on Intel Cluster Ready certified clusters running Bright Cluster Manager, so you can always rerun it to check your cluster's compliance.
Above: The Intel Cluster Ready certification process.
Obtaining an Intel Cluster Ready Certified Cluster
You can obtain an Intel Cluster Ready certified cluster by buying an Intel-based cluster from one of Bright Computing's reseller partners. Alternatively, you can have Bright Cluster Manager installed by us and we will organize the certification with Intel for you.
Although Intel Cluster Ready certification is only available for clusters based on Intel processors, by installing Bright Cluster Manager on your AMD processor based cluster, your cluster will still conform to most of the Intel Cluster Ready specification!
“Intel is delighted to present Bright Computing with the Intel®, Cluster Ready Voyager Award.”
“Bright Computing has been a supporter of Intel Cluster Ready right from the very start, and we salute the Bright Computing team for that very bright decision.”
“Bright Cluster Manager is a user-friendly software product, designed to make an easy job of installing, monitoring, managing, and using clusters.”
“Bright Cluster Manager has also been installed on several TOP500 systems.”
— Bill Magro, Director HPC Software Solutions, Software and Services Group at Intel
Why Bright is Better
Bright Cluster Manager is an official Intel Cluster Ready (ICR) component, fully compliant with the ICR specification. ICR certified clusters with Bright Cluster Manager include the Intel Cluster Checker.
However, Bright Cluster Manager also has its own set of cluster checkers, included in Cluster Health Management
, which are more tightly integrated into Bright Cluster Manager and which provide more advanced cluster health checks on an ongoing basis.
- Have an Intel Cluster Ready compliant cluster software stack.
- Have a cluster compatible with Intel Cluster Ready registered applications.
- Have the Intel Cluster Checker as well as the Bright cluster health checkers available to keep you cluster healthy and compliant at all times.