According to a recent IDC annual market report, discussed in HPCwire, new big data demands from high performance data analytics and deep learning are likely to drive future growth in the HPC market. Here are the details from that report.
- Overall HPC purchases in 2015 were $11.4 billion, which represents a growth rate of more than 10 percent.
- The fastest growing segment of the HPC market in 2015 was storage.
- The HPC server market reached $5.2 billion for the first half of 2016, and is likely to see a 6-7 percent growth when the full year's figures are tallied. This growth rate is expected to continue until 2020, the report stated.
- A recent study shows that for every dollar invested in HPC, an average of $551 is generated in revenues, as well as $52 in profits or cost savings.
- High performance data analytics (HPDA), AI, and deep learning are expected to drive the HPC growth in the coming years.
- The next new frontier for HPDA will be in the realm of precision medicine, the report noted, in which individual patient's genome, history, and symptomology will be stored in a database and compared with millions of patient records.
- Further, the report stated, the HPC market will see growth from the "on the job training" phase of deep learning, in which an application -- such as a self-driving car, for example -- will become smarter as it encounters different tasks.
- The largest growth for the HDPA market will be in industry, followed by government and academia, according to the report
Looking to harness the power of HPC? Bright Cluster Manager allows you to deploy and manage clusters over bare metal with single-pane-of-glass management for the hardware, operating system, HPC software, and users.